Expectations and Responsibilities
Being an LA is a craft that requires skill, preparation, and practice. In addition to being prepared, open-minded, and excited to work with students, LAs have a number of other responsibilities and expectations. You will find below a description of these roles and responsibilities. Being an LAs is rewarding, but it requires time and commitment. Make sure you understand what is expected of you.
LAs are responsible for:
- Maintaining a sense of professionalism. This includes: being on time for class and related meetings, adhering to a casual yet professional dress code, and remaining engaged with students throughout class.
- Preparing individually for next class and going over the content (1-hour a week)
- Participating in planning meetings (1-2 hours a week) with the lead professor and the other LAs. This meeting will prepare everyone for class.
- Completing successfully the LA Seminar (SMT 3931) with an A in their first semester of LA work.
- Promoting a safe learning environment where students feel accepted and included in class.
You can apply to work as an LA for any semester, Fall and/or Spring. During the summer semester, only Returning LAs are eligible to work due to LA Seminar not being offered.
Make sure to have the following ready:
- Be sure that you will have at least 8 hours of available time for your work as an LA
- You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits the semester you’ll be an LA for.
- You must not have more than 20 hours a week of FIU employment, including your LA work
- If you are an international student, you must have an SSN before you can be employed as an LA. Please contact the ISSS office for assistance.
Below there are two applications you can submit.
The New LA Application
This application is for LAs that have never worked as an LA before and/or have never taken the LA Seminar.
You can submit your application as a New LA HERE.
The Returning LA Application
This application is for LAs that have worked as an LA before and successfully (a B grade or higher) completed the LA Seminar.
You can submit your application as a Returning LA HERE.
Make sure to note the following important dates:
|LA applications (new and returning) open||September 27th, 2021|
|Contact your professors about your interest in LA-ing for their course and let them know you’ve applied|
|Virtual LA Information Session for students interested in LA-ing for the first time. |
Zoom Meeting ID: 965 9060 0491
|October 14th, 2021 3:30-4:30 via Zoom|
|LA Application Deadline||October 18th, 2021|
|Interviews with faculty for selected applicants*||Ongoing until all positions filled.|